Checking proper SPF record

Alex mysqlstudent at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 16:43:05 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have a mail server that manages mail for about ten domains, using
bind-9.9.4-12.P2 on fedora20. I'd like to make sure my SPF record in my SOA
is set up correctly, and hoped someone could help. Currently I have the
following:

$TTL 1d

@  IN    SOA   ns.example.com. admin.ns.example.com. (
                2011041707      ;serial (yyyymmddxx)
                3h              ;refresh every 3 hours
                1h              ;retry every 1 hr
                7d              ;expire in 7 days
                1d )            ;minimum ttl 1 day

                IN      NS      ns.example.com.
                IN      NS      ns1.example.com.
                IN      NS      ns2.example.com.

                        A       192.168.1.10

                IN      MX      10 smtp.example.com.

                IN TXT "v=spf1 mx a ip4:192.168.1.11/32 ip4:192.168.2.11/32
a:smtp.example.com a:smtp1.example.com -all"

ns              IN      TXT     "v=spf1 a -all"
ns1             IN      TXT     "v=spf1 a -all"
ns2             IN      TXT     "v=spf1 a -all"
smtp            IN      TXT     "v=spf1 a -all"
smtp1           IN      TXT     "v=spf1 a -all"

I believe there is a new SPF TXT entry in addition to the one I've created
above that's now being used? The references I read were unclear.

Does this look correct? I'd have to add this SOA to every domain the mail
server manages, correct? The smtp and smtp1 servers are the only two
servers that should be responsible for this domain.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alex