slave zone files unreadable

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sat Jul 12 09:33:31 UTC 2014

Am 12.07.2014 04:48, schrieb Alan Clegg:
> On 7/11/14, 9:41 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>
>> i am one of that people because no other software
>> is flexible enough or comes with dependency hell
>
> nsupdate
>
> If BIND is installed, no dependencies and about as flexible as you can get

i talk about web-interfaces generating complete zonefiles from
scratch out of a records table, orchestrating 4 remote nameservers
with the data which must be also maintainable by normal operators
and last but not least perfectly integrated in already self
developed admin backends for other services - well, and since the
nameservers are pulling ready-to-use zone-content via cronscript
additional nameservers could be added without touch anything but
sql permissions on the internal infrastructure

"This allows resource records to be added or removed from a
zone without manually editing the zone file" don't create you
a zone from scratch based on database records nor adds it the
zone from "named.conf" or would remove it based on a webbackend

such command line tools are nice but not useable to do the same
as a database backed webinterface maintaining 4 nameservers with
different IP addresses for two of them in case of otherwise
mirrored records for each zone - how do you integrate this in
cronjobs? in our case the cronjob pulls the complete zone-content
out from a database and writes it to disk, the single records are
to re-create the two textfields with the zone internal and WAN

additionally it's completly error-prone implement that way triggers
like "oh that domain got recently a mail-address in DBMail so now
we add a MX record if not already there as well as autoconfig and
autodiscover in the database via the DNS-API class" which does
codewise the same as if you would add that 3 records in the webUI