One question about 'Stealth servers'

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Thu Jul 24 16:58:35 UTC 2014

I know of no way to do this within BIND itself, but if you Anycast your
nameservers, and carefully tweak route preferences and whatnot, you
could ensure that some instances (call it set A) only get used if all of
the members of another set of instances (call it set B) stop advertising
the route(s).

Of course, that only works if the box is sufficiently down that it stops
advertising the route(s). Other failure modes (e.g. zone expired,
misconfigured, busying out, nameserver process dead) wouldn't
necessarily trigger failover at the routing level.

If you want finer control, you'd probably have to use a dedicated
load-balancer-type device.

- Kevin