Reload BIND to listen on additional interface?

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jul 31 11:29:14 UTC 2014

Johannes Kastl <mail at ojkastl.de> wrote:

> in the quest to use a master behind a Router with changing IPs, I set
> up a VPN and told bind on both sides to listen on the additional VPN-IPs.
>
> But, sometimes they are not available at bind startup or the VPN loses
> connection. So, when the VPN connection is ready again, I can let
> OpenVPN run a script. My idea was to use this script to tell bind,
> that it can now bind to the interface again.
>
> Question now is, which (rndc) command does that? Does a ‘rndc
> reconfig‘ tell BIND to newly bind to the interfaces?

Have you tried it to see if it just works automatically without an
explicit poke from rndc?

The ARM describes this option:

  automatic-interface-scan

    If yes and supported by the OS, automatically rescan network
    interfaces when the interface addresses are added or removed.
    The default is yes.

    Currently the OS needs to support routing sockets for
    automatic-interface-scan to be supported.

Tony.
Forth, Tyne, Dogger, Fisher, German Bight, Humber: West or southwest 4 or 5,
occasionally 6 in Fisher and German Bight. Slight or moderate. Thundery
showers. Good, occasionally moderate.