How to create a fake root server?

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Wed Mar 12 18:56:34 UTC 2014

First of all, don't use .loc as an internal TLD. There are *many*
proposals in process with ICANN for establishing new TLDs, and for all
you know, .loc might be one of them. If .loc gets established on the
Internet, and you're using it internally, that presents abundant
opportunities for confusion and failure.

Use a publically-registered domain, a descendant of a
publically-registered domain, or potentially, one of the reserved TLDs
in RFC 6761.

I'm not sure what your question is, exactly. Set up the root zone, slave
it, publish 2 or more of the master/slaves in the NS records, delegate
whatever TLD you're going to use, set up *that* zone, lather, rinse,
repeat, for the entire hierarchy. Anyone who reads _DNS_and_BIND_ should
be able to set up an internal-root infrastructure, IMO (although, sadly,
the later editions don't seem as aligned to internal-root as they used
to be).

                                         - Kevin