Multi-master (HA)

Marty Lee marty at maui-systems.co.uk
Tue May 6 18:34:47 UTC 2014

Josh,

we use multiple masters across multiple hosts, with mysql as a backend for the zone data.
Each DNS server is a master and has it’s own local mysql DB.
Each mysql database is then kept in ‘sync’ using mysql replication over a VPN link from a single
(private) admin host.

The single admin host (i.e. master mysql database) sits on a cluster framework, so it
is HA.

By doing things this way, if we do have any problems with our primary admin cluster, all
the other DNS servers continue to serve clients without interruption. If there is a big
problem with the admin cluster, it doesn’t take long to repoint the replication to another
system or even just run manual mysql updates on the databases, if it really came down to it.

From my experience, systems often need to resolve hosts to boot cleanly (ntp springs to mind),
so having the DNS daemon itself in a cluster/HA control, often means it will only be started once
the main OS has started, which is often a wee bit too late.

Hope this is of some use… If you do go down the ‘putting named under cluster control’ route, just
check that your local host doesn’t need it before cluster starts it up :-) I’ve seen that bite a
number of my customers before...

cheers

marty