Point domain name of my zone to name in somebody else's zone?

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Wed May 7 22:54:10 UTC 2014

Oh...I misread the question....guess DNAME isn't what's wanted....

just the apex to somewhere else....

Yeah...I currently just look up the name and enter A records.  But, I've
wondered if there was another record type that allowed it to detect address
changes of the requested 'CNAME'....so I wouldn't have to.  Especially, if the
requested 'CNAME' is a name that is known to change its IP...

Either that...or come up with a way to script it.

This is also handy when "somesite.ksu.edu" decides to outsource its web
content to a CNAME...but wonder why they've stopped receiving mail as
<someaddress>@somesite.ksu.edu.

Though it was just a minor delay....for them to revert back to the old site,
until they migrated their email accounts to the CNAME site as well....

But, there have been others where that doesn't work for them.

Meanwhile....users keep thinking I can also create aliases to:

https://someCNAME/some/path

I can do http, by bouncing them off a redirector, https is harder (and require
me to pass it over to a WSE.)

On 05/07/14 17:10, Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. wrote:
> DNAME ?
>
> On 05/06/14 11:44, Rom, Gloria wrote:
>> Yup, that’s what I was asking. Thanks.
>>

>> Gloria Rom
>>
>> UCLA Library Digital Initiatives and Information Technology
>>
>> gloriar at library.ucla.edu <mailto:gloriar at library.ucla.edu>
>>
>> 310-206-9784

Who: Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. - W0LKC - Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
For: Enterprise Server Technologies (EST) -- & SafeZone Ally