Multi-master (HA)

Peter Andreev andreev.peter at gmail.com
Thu May 8 03:29:49 UTC 2014

Well, we use two masters in different locations, w/o DLZ. Files for
signed zones are being generated from databases and uploaded to
servers. What we need here - is propagating of DDNS plus periodical
synchronizing of zones, journals etc.

Regarding zone templates - I'm using it with NSD4 and I'm totally
happy. Actually I don't have words to emphasize how I love those
templates!

> On 05/06/14 13:39, Evan Hunt wrote:
>> On Tue, May 06, 2014 at 06:20:11PM +0000, Baird, Josh wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> For those of you who operate at multiple sites or datacenters, are you
>>> doing any HA for your BIND masters?  Ideally, we would have a master in
>>> each datacenter; maybe not an active one, but one that is standing by in
>>> case your primary master becomes unavailable.
>>>
>>> Do you have multiple "active" masters and list them as master in each of
>>> your slave's zone definitions?  This seems like it could get rather
>>> messy.  One thought is to use a technology like VMWare SRM which will
>>> spin up a master/virtual machine automatically in a second datacenter if
>>> your primary master goes down.  This coupled with Layer2 connectivity
>>> between your sites could make things fairly simple.  The
>>> standby/secondary master would retain the same IP address as your
>>> primary, so everything should just *work*.
>>>
>>> What are others doing?  Any thoughts, ideas or advice is much
>>> appreciated.
>>
>> Thank you for bringing this up.  As it happens, high-availability/
>> multi-master support in BIND is something we've been seriously considering
>> for a future release.  There's been a lot of internal discussion of use
>> cases, requirements, and possible design approaches.
>>
>> I don't want to influence the conversation here by saying too much about
>> the ideas we've had so far, but I wanted to say: if anyone has specific
>> thoughts on how to make this sort of thing easier in BIND -- even just at
>> the level of "boy, it irritates me that I can't make BIND do <X>" --
>> such comments will fall on welcoming ears.
>>

> I hadn't thought of doing multi-master...but the issue of promoting a slave to
> master for DR had come up.  At the time the problem was DNSSEC.  Its one thing
> for the slave to become master, its another when it needs to change entries in
> the zone file to redirect key web-services to DR instances. (at the time, it
> was create two signed zone files each time...and secure transfer the second
> one out of band....but no DR web servers were ever setup, so both were
> identical files and eventually got scrapped. The issue of raw vs text on
> secondaries came up after abandonment.  But, DR comes up now and
> then...recently its using DNS appliances and cloud...
>
> OTOH, the idea of multi-master is intriguing.....the only down side I see, is
> that I have one really powerful server for my current master....(Sun Fire
> X4170)....and my other servers are weak leftovers....just passed EOL last
> year.  And, have all the servers doing full DNSSEC signing could be interesting.
>
> It also raises the question of how does the outside world cope with all the
> servers having identical zones...signed on slightly different times, etc.
> (especially since I'm using unix timestamp for zone serial....avoids issues of
> multiple admins incrementing serial without noticing others and/or collisions
> with DNSSEC's incrementing of serials.)

> [...]

Is there any problem Exterminatus cannot solve? I have not found one yet.