Point domain name of my zone to name in somebody else's zone?

Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. lkchen at ksu.edu
Fri May 9 22:55:05 UTC 2014

On 05/07/14 23:32, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <mailman.160.1399503258.26362.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
>  "Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng." <lkchen at ksu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Oh...I misread the question....guess DNAME isn't what's wanted....
>>
>> just the apex to somewhere else....
>>
>> Yeah...I currently just look up the name and enter A records.  But, I've
>> wondered if there was another record type that allowed it to detect address
>> changes of the requested 'CNAME'....so I wouldn't have to.  Especially, if the
>> requested 'CNAME' is a name that is known to change its IP...
>
> Have the apex point to your own webserver, and have it send an HTTP
> redirect to www.domain.com, which is CNAMEd to the third party domain.

I mentioned that option...but it doesn't work so well for https://example.com
(except maybe if they gave me their cert....though I have limited IPs - though
the new appliance supposedly does SNI...)

--
Who: Lawrence K. Chen, P.Eng. - W0LKC - Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
For: Enterprise Server Technologies (EST) -- & SafeZone Ally