Reply Code 0x8083 vs 0x8080

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu May 29 22:31:15 UTC 2014

In message <53879683.2080500 at chrysler.com>, Kevin Darcy writes:
> Why the different RCODES? See RFC 2308. Short version: the "NODATA"
> response occurs when the QNAME exists, but no records match QTYPE. It
> will also occur if the QNAME is merely a "branch" to something further
> down in the hierarchy (a so-called "empty non-terminal"), and owns no
> records of its own.
>
> I'm not sure why NODATA would inhibit search-suffixing, but I just
> confirmed on a Linux platform that it does. Weird.
>
>                                          - Kevin

Actually is it perfectly logical and fixes a long standing security
bug.  A name should refer to a single node in the DNS not multiple
nodes depending upon the query type.  A search should always end
on the same node independent of query type.

What is broken is putting a bare SRV prefix into res_search.
res_search was not designed for that type of searching and doing
so introduces the sort of security errors talked about in RFC 1535.

Mark