RPZ and www.rackspace.com

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri May 30 23:48:39 UTC 2014

They don't fix it because they are not usually aware of it.  The
vast bulk of the queries against load balancers are A and AAAA
queries and long as these don't return NXDOMAIN they don't see
operational problems.  Servfail for AAAA is not a issue for them
as it doesn't impact the A lookup which is all they care about.
NXDOMAIN does impact on A lookups.

Now there are a number of different errors and fixing each of these
requires different solutions.

Incorrect NXDOMAIN.

xserv.ins.dell.com returns NOERROR for A and AAAA queries which
make up the bulk of the queries the name gets.  NXDOMAIN is wrong
and there is a CERT advisory for NXDOMAIN against AAAA queries.

We could go to CERT and get them to issue / re-issue the advisory
mentioning NS records explicitly.

I write to the operators when I see a error requesting that they
contact their nameserver vendor for a fix.  The message contains a
description of the error and how to reproduce it.  It also contains
a description of what the correct response is.  This sometimes I
get a acknowledgement.  Sometimes the operator opens a ticket with
the vendor.

Error fall into a number of classes.

* no response (nameserver vendor needs to fix or firewall needs to be adjusted)
* type specific wrong rcode (NOTIMP, REFUSED, NXDOMAIN - correct SOA) requires
  the nameserver vendor to fix.  Request they contact the nameserver vendor
  for a fix.
* wrong SOA (NXDOMAIN or NOERROR) is usually a configuration issue the wrong
  backing zone has been configured.  Request they contact the nameserver
  vendor for correct configuration instructions.

If talking to the privately doesn't work then "name and shame" is
the next step.

Mark