forwarding zone to another DNS server problem

Joshua Smith jsmith at mail.wvnet.edu
Wed Nov 5 15:49:39 UTC 2014

Kevin,
Thanks for this post.  Its the most succinct description of stub zones
I've ever read.  I've often tried to wrap my head around when to use a
stub and when to use a conditional forwarder and I *think* your
description has cleared that up for me.

On Wed, Nov 05, 2014 at 03:21:00PM +0000, Darcy Kevin (FCA) wrote:
> My attempt to explain "stub"...
>
> It's like conditional forwarding, without the recursion. You tell named where the top of the namespace tree is hosted, and it issues *iterative* (= non-recursive) queries for names in that part of the tree. (Unless, of course, you have a definition further down in that namespace that overrides the behavior).
>
> As someone else pointed out, this raises the requirement that you have *direct* connectivity to the published authoritative nameservers for the top level of the zone, and any other descendant zones (unless, again, you override those parts of the namespace tree with some other definition). In a DMZ environment, you may not have open and clear communication to *everything* that you need, and therefore "stub" might not be a good fit in that case. You might be forced, as a last resort, to use forwarding, in such a scenario.
>
> Beyond that understanding, there are differences in how named *gets* the apex-NS information for a "stub" zone. The "classic" stub model is to use a similar replication method as slaving, i.e. driven by the REFRESH/RETRY/EXPIRE settings in the SOA of the zone. This will generate periodic refresh traffic in the form of SOA and/or NS queries. With the newer "static-stub" model (which, full disclosure, I've never actually *used*), apparently you just plug the addresses of the auth servers directly into the config, and no "refreshing" is necessary. There are pros and cons, that come to mind, for each of those flavors of "stub".
>
> 												- Kevin

Joshua Smith
Lead Systems Administrator WVNET
(304)293-5192 x247