Question about swupdl.adobe.com

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Oct 9 23:25:45 UTC 2014

In message <1412895254.21090.62.camel at ns.five-ten-sg.com>, Carl Byington writes
:
> On Thu, 2014-10-09 at 13:24 +0200, IDS Submit wrote:
> > I have BIND 9.10.1 x86 and I have error on query swupdl.adobe.com
>
> See the archives around July 3rd for previous issues with adobe.
>
> You might add this to /etc/named.conf
>

> // adobe servers that don't understand edns options
> server 192.150.16.247   { request-sit no; };
> server 192.150.19.247   { request-sit no; };
> server 193.104.215.247  { request-sit no; };
> // eia.gov servers that don't understand edns options
> server 205.254.135.9    { request-sit no; };
> server 199.36.140.199   { request-sit no; };
>

> The following two queries demonstrate that.
>
> dig ardownload.wip4.adobe.com @da1gtm001.adobe.com +nsid
> dig ardownload.wip4.adobe.com @da1gtm001.adobe.com

Yep, people standup non RFC compliant nameservers.  Complain to
Adobe (Cc'd on this email), then complain to COM to get the adobe.com
delegation removed when they don't fix the problem with the servers
within a reasonable period.  The next step is to sue COM for failure
to follow the published rules for dealing with operational issues
when they don't remove the adobe.com delegation.  You could also
as IANA to remove the COM delegation at the same time.

For COM and IANA you may actually have success as their are published
rules which they are supposed to follow.

RFC 1033:
COMPLAINTS

   These are the suggested steps you should take if you are having
   problems that you believe are caused by someone else's name server:

   1.  Complain privately to the responsible person for the domain.  You
   can find their mailing address in the SOA record for the domain.

   2.  Complain publicly to the responsible person for the domain.

   3.  Ask the NIC for the administrative person responsible for the
   domain.  Complain.  You can also find domain contacts on the NIC in
   the file NETINFO:DOMAIN-CONTACTS.TXT

   4.  Complain to the parent domain authorities.

   5.  Ask the parent authorities to excommunicate the domain.

Mark