.prod issues

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Sep 5 14:21:41 UTC 2014

In message <CAKJ6aWJPSJD7opGvXRmMRMTjBc4adqgOULO1_XtLUjnSZtd4+g at mail.gmail.com>, Reade Taylor writes:
>  I have a subdomain prod.mydomain.com today all of our internal resources
> that use this prod subdomain stopped being able to reach eachother.  I
> believe the issue is related to the release of .prod as a TLD.  Is there a
> way I can block this TLD or point it back to my environment?
>
> Currently, I have added mdots:2 to resolv.conf as a workaround.
>
> Reade

You need to stop using partially qualified names to refer to local
machines, e.g. host.prod.  The DNS was not designed to be used that
way even if resolvers let you get away with it until the introduction
of prod.

Your machine names are host.prod.mydomain.com not host.prod.

Stick to unqualified + search list and fully qualified.
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org