A record of domain name must be name server ?

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Sep 8 12:02:47 UTC 2014

On Mon, Sep 08, 2014 at 03:43:22PM +0800, Pete Fong wrote:
> The below item is our DNS (BIND) server configuration. our Domain*
> xxx.com

I think that is a porn site.  If you mean to use that name as an
example, please use "example.com" instead.  Putting HTTP links to
pornography in your emails is a sure way to fall afoul of various
content filtering solutions which are in common use.

See RFC 2606 regarding reserved domain names like "example.com".

> <http://xxx.com> *is assigned IP address 192.168.1.100 which is
> our one of DNS server. Can we change it to our web server IP
> address ? Because we want anybody access our domain *xxx.com
> <http://xxx.com>* with internet browser then it will go to our
> webpage. Am I correct ? I really appreciate anybody help.

It's not unusual to point an "A" record for "@" at a HTTP server.
Whatever you are not understanding here, I can't tell.

> @  IN SOA ns1.xxx.com. root.ns1.xxx.com (
>       2014090801 ; serial
>       2h          ; refresh
>           10m        ; retry
>       1w         ; expiry
>       1h )
>
>     IN NS ns1.xxx.com.
>     IN A  192.168.1.100

This zone file would fail named-checkzone(8) testing if loaded as
"xxx.com", because there is no "A" record for the NS name,
"ns1.xxx.com."  This zone would fail to load.

If any of your NS names are inside the zone, you must have either or
both A and AAAA records for those NS names.  Here is the same zone
without the XXX and with all relative names:

--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/