bind-9.10.0-P2 memory leak?

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Fri Sep 12 15:47:07 UTC 2014

> Mike Hoskins wrote:
>
> Do you guys have max-cache-size set?  I didn't see it in the borderworlds
> named.conf.  I've seen similar growth problems when testing 9.x before
> setting that (experiment at the time just to see what would happen, and
> confirmed this behavior).  Set sensible resource limits based on available
> resources.

I am going to see what happens with max-cache-size set, but I am convinced
that there is a bug in bind. My named has been running for 7.5 weeks now
and has been steadily growing in size except for a 1.5 week pause after I
did an rndc flush. The process size started out at 36 MB and is now up to
584 MB. But when I do an rndc dumpdb -cache I get a file that is only 5 MB
in size. Given the automatic cache cleaning, named should stabilize in
size in less than 7.5 weeks.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com