Change in behaviour regarding ndots and searchlist

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at dsservices.com
Mon Sep 15 14:04:13 UTC 2014

While the final dot has been required within zone files to prevent unwanted appendages to records it has NOT  been required by tools such as host and nslookup on either Windows or Linux/UNIX which routinely use "search" domains.   As I noted this is something that seems to have changed recently.    It doesn't happen for every record either so we're just now looking into what has changed and as stated I suspect it is the new Windows Domain Controllers recently installed.

The article I mentioned posted last week does suggest that using short names is a bad idea now due to the new plethora of TLDs and the bleed over but that doesn't mean it never worked.    The article says that what made short names work in the past was platform dependent so really wasn't a good idea even for internal systems.  Despite that it IS the way many people have run their environments for years.