bind-9.10.0-P2 memory leak?

Thomas Schulz schulz at adi.com
Mon Sep 15 16:06:27 UTC 2014

> > Heh thanks, yeah...initially I was erring on the side of caution and using
> > 9.9.x because it's served us well (~20k recursive clients without any
> > significant problems).  Meanwhile we've been keeping a close eye on
> > community comments, and to be honest opinions wax and wane.  Just as I
> > think it's stabilized, someone else complains.  I suppose sticking to
> > 9.9.x a bit longer is wise.
> >
> > That said, based on the 9.10.1 fixes, we will run it through our own perf
> > tests for comparison.  Upgrades are automated and easy, but I'd obviously
> > like to go live with the latest version unless there is a strong technical
> > reason otherwise.
>
> FYI, 9.9 is the current Extended Support Version (ESV).  If you're
> looking for a version of BIND with a long period of maintenance, there
> will be ongoing 9.9.x, 9.9.x+1 etc. releases and interim patches if needed.
>
> http://www.isc.org/downloads/software-support-policy/

I mentioned this earlier, but I have been seeing the very large increases
in process size with Bind 9.9.5-P1 and 9.9.6b1. I have just installed
9.10.1rc2 on one of our secondary name servers. In time I will be able
to see if 9.10.1rc2 shows a bigger increase in process size than 9.9.5-P1
did. I have restarted 9.9.6b1 with max-cache-size 30M on our primary
server. Both experiments will take some time before I can tell what
is happening.

Tom Schulz
Applied Dynamics Intl.
schulz at adi.com