How to block part of a zone

Kevin Darcy kcd at chrysler.com
Tue Sep 16 16:30:04 UTC 2014

You have multiple choices here.

Loopback is sometimes a bad choice, since the client may try to connect
to itself, and in pathological cases this could cause an infinite loop.

You could consider an A record with RDATA 0.0.0.0, the "null" or
"unspecified" address. It is not legal for that ever to be a destination
address for a connection attempt, so it's marginally safer than 127.0.0.1.

For that matter, you don't need to define *any* A (or AAAA) record in
the zone at all. Then any resolution attempts will get a so-called
"NODATA" response (NOERROR, but 0 answers), which the vast majority of
stub resolvers won't be able to distinguish from NXDOMAIN.

                                                         - Kevin