AXFR root zone

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Sun Sep 28 23:08:16 UTC 2014

In message <54289195.2070202 at ripe.net>,
Anand Buddhdev <anandb at ripe.net> wrote:

>If you wanted your script to be robust, then you would program it with
>the names of all 13 root name servers, and have it try the zone
>transfers from a random server each time, and trying another one in case
>of failure.

Yes, actually.  Thank you.  A prior version of my script did exactly
that.  But I just hacked out all of that rather clumsy code, because
it seems that it is no longer necessary.

>However, you're better off using ICANN's dedicated zone transfer
>servers. See this URL for details:
>
>http://www.dns.icann.org/services/axfr/

YESSSSSS!  I'm already on it...

my $res = Net::DNS::Resolver->new (nameservers => ['xfr.lax.dns.icann.org',
                                                   'xfr.cjr.dns.icann.org']);
my @rr_list = $res->axfr ('.');

Works great!

Thanks again.