Punycode questions

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Mon Sep 29 09:28:35 UTC 2014

Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:

> In a nutshell, I'd just like to know whether or not Punycode
> encoded strings may ever validly contain either (a) leading
> periods or else (b) two consecutive periods.  Would any strings
> that contain either of those things be considered to be "valid"
> Punycode encoded strings?

No. For details see RFCs 5891, 5892, and 3492.

> To be more specific and concrete about it, here is a small
> example Perl program I wrote:
>
>    ftp://ftp.tristatelogic.com/pub/punybug.pl
>
> When *I* run this, it prints out several "Invalid punycode!"
> errors.

I think that is because the function you are calling is intended for
encoding individual labels, not whole domain names.

Tony.
Trafalgar: Cyclonic in northwest, otherwise mainly northerly or northwesterly
5 or 6. Slight or moderate. Showers in northwest. Good.