Dig, open servers and A records

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 08:57:08 UTC 2015

On 5 April 2015 at 09:32, Stephen Eyre <sceyre at btinternet.com> wrote:
> My server is called server1.sportshost.co.uk and its ip address is
> 84.92.56.54.
>
> Going on to whatsmydns.net I find that sportshost.co.uk returns suitable
> entries under the NS and SOA section. There are nothing but red crosses
> under A records section - I was expecting my ip address.

Try again, you haven't given things enough time to propagate around
the internet, 24-72 hours is still the usual wait time.

> So todays question is - what do I need to do to keep my server closed, get
> proper dig replies and get my A records showing up on whatsmydns.net?

What is the purpose of the server? are you going to be hosting zones
that need to be accessible from other clients on the Internet
(authoritative) or is it just a DNS server that you can utilize to
handle your queries (recursive)? or are you doing both?

If you need recursion then you'll need an ACL to say which clients are
allowed to perform recursion to prevent it from being an open
recursor.

Steve