on TTL expiry BIND sends 'ANY' query, gets back 'NOANSWER'

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Apr 9 11:26:49 UTC 2015

On 08/04/15 20:25, Chuck Anderson wrote:

> My questions are, what is at fault here?  Is it a BIND bug to expect

It all sounds really odd. In particular, if there is no recursive client
triggering them, and no prefetch, where are these ANY/A queries on TTL
expiry coming from?

Are you certain there isn't some client activity triggering them? Or
glue fetching (wouldn't account for ANY though).

The fact that it's flip-flopping between ANY and A records suggests to
me you've got two separate things going on, and the ANY path is the
problematic one. Can you see if there are any ANY (har har) queries
coming into the recursive at all for these names/zones and from where?