rndc flushname not working

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Fri Apr 10 09:19:12 UTC 2015

On 09.04.15 13:57, Frank Even wrote:
>So flushname does not address NXDOMAIN responses?

oh yes, it does. But it seems that after you flush the name and resolve
again, someone is providing you with further NXDOMAIN.
Flushname can not help you with broken server or broken delegation.

>I'm getting at, there is no good documentation on this that I can
>find.  All the responses in the lists seem to be around "well it
>depends on your situation, need more data, etc."

yes, more data would help - if someone was able to look at the real domain
you have problems with, they could find what the issue is.

If you ask us generic question, we can only give you generic response.

>I no longer have the data regardless, a full flush "fixed" the issue.
>We have some automation around running a "flushname" on the servers
>though and that addresses a large number of issues with cache
>weirdness

Flushname should be only needed if something breaks. It should not be needed
to run that automatically.  If you need flush more often than just
ocationally, there is apparently broken nameserver or too big TTL set and
fixing the server or lowering the TTL should fix the issue.

Silvester Stallone: Father of the RISC concept.