rndc flushname not working

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Apr 10 20:34:08 UTC 2015

> In this particular case, when the issue came to me, the
> name servers for the domain were able to return the result with no
> problems, other caching servers throughout the company had no issues,
> but this group of servers that apparently had tests run against the
> domain prior to it being fully setup could not resolve it and nothing
> short of a full flush of the cache would fix the issue.  That leads me
> to believe there is some data that gets held in cache not cleared by a
> flushname that is relevant but not documented.

It could be a nameserver in the delegation chain cached
wrongly.  If that nameserver isn't in the domain to which
flushtree was directed, another flush aimed at that nameserver's name
would be needed.  I recall the "fun" of hunting down some of those.
CNAMEs can also create fun.

John Wobus
Cornell University IT