Testing RFC 5011 key roll

Edward Lewis edward.lewis at icann.org
Tue Apr 21 13:23:12 UTC 2015

Evan/et.al.,

I've updated to 9.10.2, adjusted the timers, etc., and have managed to
follow the keyroll.systems test over night (a handful of key changes) plus
still get the desired "AD" bit.

With the timing in mind, I looked at my unbound (I realize this is BIND
users ;)) which wasn't keeping up with the rolls - I had neglected to
speed up it's clock.  Once I did that, it worked.

My lesson is - besides just working out the configuration - testing
RFC5011 takes more patience than just about any other feature of
DNS/DNSSEC.  RFC5011 is the most wall-clock driven mechanism we have.
(Yes, signatures expire and TTL's lapse, but these can be set low in lab
environments.)

I have a suggestion - is there a way to query a BIND server for it's trust
anchor key set?  Perhaps it is unnecessary and perhaps it should only be
allowed by authorized users.  I say perhaps unnecessary because the
information may be available on disk (which an administrator could get to
via ssh, perhaps).

Ed