Do TLD glue records support round robin replies?

MURTARI, JOHN jm5903 at att.com
Mon Aug 17 13:34:25 UTC 2015

Folks,

                Our normal procedure when changing the IP address of a TLD name server is to get the new server responding properly and then update the glue records with the Registrar to reflect the new address, normally 1-2 days apart for two nameservers.   We monitor query traffic on each and usually see a distinctive shift once the glue record is updated and almost all traffic shifts in the first 24 hours. e.g.

                ns1.example .com - 1.2.3.4   (first day) -->  10.20.30.40    (confirm normal ops)
             ns2.example.com-5.6.7.8 (second day) --> 50.60.70.80

                We had someone on staff make a suggestion we could modify this approach by adding an additional IP address for each of the existing servers:
                ns1.example.dom - 1.2.3.4 (first day) --> 1.2.3.4 & 10.20.30.40  (confirm normal ops)

                I never even thought a Registrar would allow this?   Is it supported?   A useful idea in certain scenarios (although I'm not sure when) ?

                Thanks!

John Murtari - jm5903 at att.com<mailto:jm5903 at att.com>
Ciberspring
office: 315-944-0998