what's DNSaaS standard?

Mike Hoskins (michoski) michoski at cisco.com
Mon Aug 24 16:43:17 UTC 2015

On 8/24/15, 6:40 AM, "bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org on behalf of Reindl
Harald" <bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org on behalf of
h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>Am 24.08.2015 um 12:29 schrieb Ken Peng:
>> I know it's DNS as a service.
>> But what's the standard? how to implement it?
>
>it's just a buzzword for DNS hosting

You could also say "SaaS" is just a buzzword for ASP or pure hosted
environments of the past...but it is supposed (though admittedly not
always) to be more -- commoditized/common infra supporting multi-tenant
(reduce cost, transparently increase scale), APIs for all interaction
(including things not covered by nsupdate, support for multiple backends),
etc.

This isn't really just hosting BIND servers or zones for folks.  The
closest thing I've seen in the community thus far (which still needs a lot
of work) is OpenStack's Designate, which is obviously a very domain
specific solution.  Still, reading their blueprints as well as comparing
work from things like HashiCorp's Consul or SkyDNS can give you some good
ideas.

In terms of standards, rather than read about DNSaaS specifically start by
understanding what "aaS" really means since a lot of the traits I
described above are generic to them all.  That is really the bulk of your
question, since the standards for the DNS piece are already well defined.