Help DNS

Dave Warren davew at hireahit.com
Mon Aug 24 23:51:19 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-24 03:57, Daniel Ryslink wrote:
> As for the SERIAL in SOA, it's just a good practice, it gives you the
> information about when the zone was published, and creates less
> problems when you transfer hosting of the domain to another
> nameserver. Basically yes, it's just a number, but there is no real
> good reason not to use the recommended format.

For me, the reason is that I don't track the serial number when
generating zones. I don't have any need to track revision counts or
dates for any other purpose, so I don't; I just generate a number which
is guaranteed to be higher than any previous number based on the current
time.

As a nod to poorly written DNS validation tools that tossed errors
rather than warnings, I do start my numbers with YYYY.

Currently this limits me to around 2 updates a minute with the serial
creation algorithm I'm using, but that's good enough for our typical
customer, and we can offer dynamic zones to customers that need it. I
don't think we have any of those left anymore.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/