DNS Negative Caching

Alan Clegg alan at clegg.com
Thu Aug 27 14:32:26 UTC 2015

On 8/27/15 10:24 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>> I wasn't really following this thread, but now that I see this, I would
>> like to add that the "expire" timer is also used as the default TTL for
>> resource records that do not have one specified, and if there is not an
>> explicit $TTL statement in the zone file.
>>
>> Personally, I doubt that a 1 week TTL is a good idea
>
> it is a damned good idea because it's the value after your slaves start
> to drop zones in case of connection / zone-transfer troubles

Oh, what a day... yes, the formatting of the zone snippet threw me.

Yes, EXPIRE should be long (and probably longer than 1w), it's the
MINIMUM (last value in the SOA RDATA) that I was meaning to point out.

Thanks for that..

> a zone without an explicit $TTL statement is questionable to say it polite

But, quite common IRL.

AlanC
--
When I do still catch the odd glimpse, it's peripheral; mere fragments
of mad-doctor chrome, confining themselves to the corner of the eye.