DNS Negative Caching

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Fri Aug 28 17:32:05 UTC 2015

What's in a name? :-)

RFC 2308 said that the use of the last field of the SOA to set negative-caching TTL is "the new defined meaning of the SOA minimum field". So you can *call* it "minimum", but it is *actually* supposed to function as something else...

Eventually I hope BIND will conform to the spirit of RFC 2308 and stop using the last field of the SOA to set the default TTL, as a "fallback" in scenarios where the file would otherwise be illegal (i.e. the first RR has no explicit TTL set, and there is no $TTL directive preceding it).  RFC 2308 is so old, that if it were a person, it would be legal to buy cigarettes in some parts of the world. It's long past time for folks to get with the program.

						- Kevin