DNS Negative Caching

Darcy Kevin (FCA) kevin.darcy at fcagroup.com
Fri Aug 28 21:15:19 UTC 2015

Negative-caching TTL and regular TTL have little to do with each other; it's not a reasonable assumption that one should stand in as a default for the other. I know analogies are frequently dangerous, but to me, that's kind of like saying that the amount of time that normally elapses between replacing one's automobile with a newer vehicle, can be safely assumed to be equal to the amount of time one could go without an automobile at all. The two things are related, of course (in the analogy, they're both about automobiles), but it would be foolish to assume that one time interval is the same as the other. One pertains to the *existence* of something, that needs to be periodically refreshed; the other refers to the duration of an *absence* of something.

As you pointed out (correctly), this isn't an issue which affects anything that goes "on the wire", e.g. master-slave replication via AXFR/IXFR, since, "on the wire" the TTL is always included with the RR. It's only an issue for how the zone files are managed on the master.

My opinion: named on the master should reject illegal zone files.

Note that this is a non-issue if Dynamic Update is being used to manage zones (since then named writes out the zone file), or if a commercial-grade DNS management system is the thing that's generating the zone files (since they should all be compliant to RFC 2308 by now; if not, sue the manufacturer for a product defect). It's perhaps only an issue for some homebrew zonefile-creation scripts that were written a long time ago, and where the administrators have been systematically ignoring the "no TTL specified; using SOA MINTTL instead" errors in their logs, every time named loads or reloads the zones.

									- Kevin