About query response on a view

Okan Bostan bostanok at itu.edu.tr
Wed Dec 9 09:11:28 UTC 2015

Hello List,

We are planning to migrate to Bind dns, I'm a bit newbie.

In our design we have two views; int and ext.
As internal view, recursion is on and we have our internal zones & forwarders. I have no problem with internal view.

In external view, recursion in no. Also have some zones. In testing external view, I can query the records in zones, thats not a problem also.

But when I try to query, for example www.google.com<http://www.google.com> it returns the root servers records by dig.

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;ww.                            IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       518400  IN      NS      D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
.                       518400  IN      NS      E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.

And status: NOERROR

also in nslookup:

Name:    www.google.com
Served by:
- E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

- F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

- J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

- G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

- D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

- C.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

- A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

But in our existing DNS enviroment, I get  status: SERVFAIL to same query.

Is this a normal behaviour ? How can I disable this Authority section with root server NS records?

My external view:

view "EXTERNAL" {

        match-clients {"any";};
        allow-query-on {ext_ip; };