Cloud DNS providers for secondary DNS

Diggins Mike diggins at mcmaster.ca
Wed Dec 30 16:52:07 UTC 2015

Thanks for the help. My question is hypothetical at this point and likely pointless since I intend to implement it the "right" way, but I'd still like to understand this better. I'm not looking to circumvent the rules.

My more specific question is this: If I'm a site on the internet looking for a server in my domain for the first time, I query the TLD servers for a list of name servers for my domain and pick one to query. Suppose I pick one that has the correct zone information and can answer the query, but that specific NS is not listed in the zone record. I believe that's called a LAME nameserver, correct? What happens? Does it answer the query regardless? Does specifying the NS record in the zone simply confirm to the remote site that this is a valid nameserver for this zone?

-Mike