DIG Info Request

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Tue Feb 3 19:12:27 UTC 2015

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 01:50:14PM -0500, Linux Addict wrote:
> I do dig . +trace and the results seem show .new servers. This is
> causing SERVFAIL for root query. Any ideas?
>
>  dig . +trace

Contact the person who runs the resolver at 172.27.254.11 and report the
problem about the root hints. dig +trace uses the configured resolver to
only find the root nameservers, and directly does lookups afterwards.

So while regular lookup may succeed through your resolver, dig +trace
may not. See:

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00208/0/Why-is-the-outcome-different-from-dig-when-using-the-trace-option.html

		Mukund