Finding authoritative server and last update

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Feb 3 22:42:54 UTC 2015

On 02/03/2015 05:09 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Feb 2015, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> I am trying to find out which comcast server is authoritative for
>>
>> 4.254.253.50.in-addr.arpa
>>
>> and when the zone file for the ptr rr was last updated.
>>
>> I was told a week ago that the ptr would be updated, but I am still
>> not seeing any change...
>>
>> I am not really good at keeping good notes on using dig.
> Have a look at output from:
>
> dig +trace 4.254.253.50.in-addr.arpa PTR
>
> dig 254.253.50.in-addr.arpa SOA

Thanks this shows that the supposed update over the weekend probably did
not occur and that is why I am still seeing the default ptr RR. I was
assured 24 hour turn around time one month ago.

I suppose if you buy their domain hosting, it 'just works'.

I suspect I will not want them to be the secondary NS for my domain, so
I am again looking for secondary DNS service that I can afford...