'error (chase DS servers)' for static-stub zones

Graham Clinch g.clinch at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Feb 4 11:42:42 UTC 2015

Hi Folks,

What does 'lame-servers: error (chase DS servers) resolving [...]'
really mean, and is it really an error?

It seems to be: pause the current resolution whilst I start another
round to fetch a (DS) record from the parent zone, but once that
completes, everything works out.

In particular, I see this for the first resolution within a static-stub
zone.

I suppose that the usual process of resolution would involve iterating
down and so any DS record(s) would come in from the parent whilst
discovering the delegation NS records, but with static-stub there's no
need to know the delegation NS records.

In short, is it expected behaviour to see a 'chase DS servers' error
occasionally (once every DS-record TTL?) for static-stubbed zones?

Graham