Looking new RPMs for CentOS 6.

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Feb 9 13:03:51 UTC 2015

On 09/02/15 13:00, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 09.02.2015 um 13:33 schrieb Phil Mayers:
>>>
>>> You might try the building the source rpm packages at
>>> http://www.five-ten-sg.com/mapper/bind
>>
>> These are very good RPMs BTW. Thanks for doing this.
>>
>> One tiny suggestion - would it be possible to make the contents, minus
>> the bind source tarball, available separately? This will save you some
>> bandwidth and let those with fast connections download the spec+patches
>> from you, then download bind from a fast or local mirror. Just a thought
>
> the whole purpose of a src.rpm is that one can just do "rpmbuild
> --rebuild package.src.rpm" and that's the correct way

Is it really? Wow, thanks, I didn't know that!

/sarcasm

My point was that Carl generously hosts these, and while many people
will download the full .src.rpm, some people - such as myself - would,
if offered, download the .spec+patches as a tarball, and the bind
tarball separately, saving him some bandwidth and load.

For what it's worth, not everyone does "rpm --rebuild". We unpack the
.src.rpm and put the .spec+patches into our "mock" buildsystem.