ISC DHCP does not work with BIND 9.10

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu Feb 19 18:30:49 UTC 2015

> dhcp is only expected to work with the "generic library" (and also
> disabling epoll), but this comment now seems to be obsolete as there's
> no "generic" (formerly called "export") version of the library.
> Assuming the issue with epoll is somehow resolved, I suspect we'd need
> some run-time mechanism to enable the "multiple task managers" mode
> (while still enabling threads).  As far as I know the current
> implementation doesn't allow it.

Pretty much exactly correct.  Our intention was to allow both named and
dhcpd to use the same set of libisc and libdns libraries, no longer
requiring separate libraries to be built for each; a global variable set at
runtime ("isc_bind9") takes the place of "#ifdef BIND9", where the internal
and export versions of the libraries had different behavior.

We ran out of time on this project when we were working on BIND 9.10 and
DHCP 4.3, and haven't had time to get back to it, so the work is largely
but complete but not entirely.  DHCP still needs some adaptations to deal
with the new-style task manager, and libisc needs a runtime mechanism for
choosing to use select vs epoll/kqueue/devpoll.  I think there were a few
other items on the "to do" list as well, but those were the big ones.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.