Odd response from upstream DNS servers

Levi Pederson levipederson at mankatonetworks.net
Tue Jan 6 19:03:10 UTC 2015

All,

I have an ODD issue with a request to an upstream DNS server

1.  I receive the Downstream request and can't fill it locally so I send
request up to upstream server
2.  Upstream receives it and does it's thing and sends back a response with
the proper servers for the client to query (this response goes back to my
DNS server)
3.  I'm then supposed to send that response back to the client to use for
requests

However I can see the request come back to my server only to be rejected as
FORMERR  and DNS format error badresp:1

Can anyone help me understand where the error in this issue exists?

I have wire sharked and can see the response packet come back to my servers
outside interface and the rejection

Thank you,

*Levi Pederson*
Mankato Networks LLC