Permission denied when deleting zone using rndc with bind for windows 9.10.1-P1

Patrick van Lier vanlier at ilc-europe.nl
Mon Jan 12 14:22:26 UTC 2015

We've setup a fallback DNS server, which get's its zones from our primary dns server on our webserver. Creating, modifying and deleting zones is done using RNDC.

Authentication is setup and working. When we create a domain on our webserver, there is an 'addzone' request logged on the fallback dns, and the zonefile is created. So initial configuration is ok.

When we delete a domainname, there is a delzone command issued to the fallback dns, but nothing happens. The zone isn't deleted, also the zonefile is kept.

When I run rndc on the fallback dns server from a command prompt (under the user administrator, same as the bind service) and run the delzone command, I get 'permission denied'.

When I google on this error, 9 out of 10 tell me is has to be permissions. I've setup permissions to full for all users. Also zone files can be created so write access is working. The Bind service is running as administrator (on a win 2003 server, so no UAC) and I can also delete/move/rename all zone files (and the main zone file) when I shutdown the named service. So I'm 100% sure the problem isn't related to permissions.

So it seems to be a bug? I had 9.10.1 before and upgraded to 9.10.1-P1 to see if the problem was fixed but that didn't make any difference.