How to alias a domain

Graham Clinch g.clinch at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jan 16 16:13:41 UTC 2015

On 16/01/2015 15:36, John wrote:
> DNAME will not work with DNSSEC.
> DNAME only work with the sub-tree, while DNSSEC is at the domain level.
>
> taking the example:
>                         klam.biz   IN DNAME klam.com
>
> DNSSEC will try to find keys for klam.biz NOT klam.com, which results in
> DNSSEC failure.

DNAME and DNSSEC certainly do work together - take a look at
http://dnsviz.net/d/www.lancaster.ac.uk/dnssec/

The klam.biz zone would need to be signed (I suppose you could use the
same key material as for klam.com, but I am not sure what benefit that
would bring) and biz to provide DS records, but there's nothing special
there from a DNSSEC point of view.

74.116.186.178 (one of two nameservers for klam.biz) is currently
returning SERVFAIL to my queries regarding klam.biz, which may be
obscuring the real problem.

Graham