also-notify with multiple occurrences of same IP address

Graham Clinch g.clinch at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Jan 19 17:56:52 UTC 2015

Hi List,

Using BIND 9.9, I am trying to notify two different slave views on the
same host using TSIG keys as the differentiator:

also-notify { 127.0.0.1 key slave1; 127.0.0.1 key slave2; };

It appears that only the first (slave1) receives a notify.

If I change the second address to a different IP address on the same host:

also-notify { 127.0.0.1 key slave1; 127.0.0.2 key slave2; };

Then both views receive the notification.

I think this is down to an optimisation in lib/dns/zone.c which checks
whether a notification is already queued to the same 'dst' address,
ignoring whether the key differs (roughly line 9990?).

Is this the 'correct' behaviour?  It wasn't what I was expecting, but I
can see how we got here.

I guess this doesn't affect people with fewer than three views.  Has
anybody on-list got a clever(er?) trick?  I suppose that 9.10 with
in-view might make the problem go away.

Graham