Swedish and Danish "ö" conflicts with eachother

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Fri Jan 23 02:12:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 12:36:38PM +1100, Mark Andrews wrote:

> It looks like something has mapped the 0x80..0xff octets to space.
>
> That said the use non-ascii in the DNS is not well defined.  If you
> add the UTF8 code point using \XXX\XXX where XXX are the decimal
> values that make up the code point it should pass.  This keeps named.conf
> as ascii but still allows the use of utf8 (or whatever coding you like)
> in labels.

I believe in UTF8 it would be:

zone "dr\195\182pmor.no" { ... }; # dröpmor.no
zone "dr\195\184pmor.no" { ... }; # drøpmor.no

But note that you'll need to use "check-names ignore;" to get the zones to
load, because named doesn't recognize those octal encodings as letters, and
will block them as invalid hostnames for any A, AAAA or MX record.

(This assumes the .no zone allows those characters in delegations. I
would guess it does, but I don't actually know.)

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.