Filter dns update requests?

Jeff Sadowski jeff.sadowski at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:34:34 UTC 2015

Is there a way to setup bind to use an external filtering script to
filter out requests?

example1: Say I have a cisco dhcp server and some windows clients and
some other clients.
Further lets say I have two domains on my dhcp scope.

WinCli1 is on ad.abc.org
WinCli2 is on ad.xyz.org
Printer1 gets its domain from the dhcp server which is ad.abc.org

bind allows ddns for both ad.abc.org and ad.xyz.org

currently I see entries as follows

WinCli1 has DNS A entries WinCli1.ad.abc.org WinCli1.ad.abc.org.ad.abc.org
and PTR <ip_WinCli1> => WinCli1.ad.abc.org.ad.abc.org

WinCli2 has DNS A entries WinCli2.ad.xyz WinCli2.ad.xyz.org.ad.abc.org
and PTR <ip_WinCli2> => WinCli2.ad.xyz.org.ad.abc.org

Printer1 has DNS A entry Printer1.ad.abc.org
and PTR <ip_Printer1> => Printer1.ad.abc.org

The only device I like how it is is the printer.
I would like to filter out the DNS entries for the Windows Clients
So that in the example above. I would like what I think is obvious
as follows

WinCli1 has DNS A entry WinCli1.ad.abc.org
and PTR <ip_WinCli1> => WinCli1.ad.abc.org

WinCli2 has DNS A entry WinCli2.ad.xyz
and PTR <ip_WinCli2> => WinCli2.ad.xyz

Printer1 has DNS A entry Printer1.ad.abc.org
and PTR <ip_Printer1> => Printer1.ad.abc.org

further more I was wondering if there isn't a way to filter out some
entries all together.

example2: Say I do not want some entry in my DNS ever.

Curently

PrinterBadName has DNS A entry PrinterBadName
and PTR <ip_PrinterBadName> => PrinterBadName

I would like no entries filtering out bad names.

Is there a way to do things like this with bind?
Or someway to intercept DNS update requests and only send what I want
to the DNS servers?