Receiving Timeout from DNS Server for a zone file Not present in named.conf

Harshith Mulky harshith.mulky at outlook.com
Wed Jul 8 10:17:18 UTC 2015

Hello,
I have a query here,
I have named.conf configured But I do not have zone file configured for a domain name as "e164.ld"
I am sending out a query asdig @<DNS Server IP> 8.7.9.8.6.0.3.6.6.9.1.e164.ld. NAPTR
; <<>> DiG 9.8.2rc1-RedHat-9.8.2-0.17.rc1.el6 <<>> 8.7.9.8.6.0.3.6.6.9.1.e164.ld.  NAPTR;; global options: +cmd;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached
I am receiving  a Connection TimeOut message
Should not i be receiving a NXDOMAIN response from DNS Server?
What are the scenarios, I will be receiving a Timeout, or a NXDOMAIN, or a REFUSED from DNS Server
I have Installed BIND on RHEL system! Would the reposnes be different in different servers like Linux, Solaris, CENTOS?