Need for Additional Records in a

Mukund Sivaraman muks at isc.org
Wed Jul 22 06:36:46 UTC 2015

Hi Harshith

On Wed, Jul 22, 2015 at 11:51:53AM +0530, Harshith Mulky wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When we are getting Additional Section for a DNS Response like this,
> What is the need for this ADDITIONAL SECTION? Why is this ADDITIONAL
> SECTION returned? Is there a way to turn off these ADDITIONAL RESPONSE
> messages from the DNS Server?

See RFCs 1034 and 1035 on what the additional section's function is. RRs
in this section are required in some cases, and in other cases it's just
useful to include them.

There are various options that can be used to control what is included
in the additional section. See the "BIND 9 Configuration Reference"
section in the manual for descriptions of these.

		Mukund