How to properly update chroot-bind

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Tue Jul 28 08:56:21 UTC 2015

On 28.07.15 10:44, Reindl Harald wrote:
>i doubt for several reasons
>
>yum update bind\* would work but only in theory
>
>the most recent version for the upcoming CentOS 6.7 is
>9.8.2-0.37.rc1.el6_7.1 (yesterday from the cr repos)
>
>but you *never ever* should only update specific packages on a
>RHEL/CentOS system because that is *not supported and tested* at all

No? What are dependencies for, then?
Or don't yum/RPM support them in the way debian does?
(that is why it's quite easy to have mixed Debian... we have machine with
mix of debian 5,6,7 and even 8... not that It's good idea).

>the OP's question in fact is how to get a newer bind version and the
>anser is "you don't until you compile it yourself and risk troubles
>with other dependencies, hence you decided to use a LTS distribution
>and should refrain to work outside the package manager"

If the OP searches for newer version than is available in CentOS6, we can
make this clear. However if newer version appears in CentOS6 repositories,
then "yum update (bind)" should do that...

and bind-chroot is afaik only something that sets up chrooted version for
bind.
Boost your system's speed by 500% - DEL C:\WINDOWS\*.*