zone not updating

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Mar 31 01:27:01 UTC 2015

In article <mailman.1839.1427747881.26362.bind-users at lists.isc.org>,
 Lucio Crusca <lucio at sulweb.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I have a Bind9 server which is master for several zones, one of those is
> hcvalchisone.net. Here is the relevant part of its db file:
>
> ;
> ; BIND data file for hcvalchisone.net
> ;
> $TTL    3600
> @       IN      SOA     hcvalchisone.net. info.hcvalchisone.net. (
>                             2015032901         ; Serial
>                                    300         ; Refresh
>                                    300         ; Retry
>                                   1200         ; Expire
>                                   3600)        ; Default TTL
> ;
> @       IN      NS      ns0.virtual-bit.com.
> @	IN	NS	ns1.virtual-bit.com.
> hcvalchisone.net.	     IN      MX       10      mx.hcvalchisone.net.
> hcvalchisone.net.	IN	A	136.243.232.141
> mx		IN	A	158.58.168.152
> www		IN	A	136.243.232.141
>
> I edited this zone file on March, 22 and set new IP address for the www
> record.
> Then, yesterday, I only bumped the serial because the zone was not
> propagating, but still nothing changed. If you query the NS for the www
> record, it replies with the new and correct IP address (136.243.232.141), but
> if you query any other DNS around the globe, it replies with the old one
> (158.58.168.152, same as current MX).
>
> What am I doing wrong?

You need to go to your domain registrar and update the nameservers. Your
registration lists different nameservers than the ones you have in your
zone:

   Domain Name: HCVALCHISONE.NET
   Registrar: ONLINENIC, INC.
   Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 82
   Whois Server: whois.onlinenic.com
   Referral URL: http://www.OnlineNIC.com
   Name Server: NS1.CUSTOMER.SEFLOW.IT
   Name Server: NS2.CUSTOMER.SEFLOW.IT
http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
   Updated Date: 30-sep-2014
   Creation Date: 15-oct-2008
   Expiration Date: 15-oct-2015

These nameservers have an old version of your zone:

$ dig hcvalchisone.net soa @ns2.customer.seflow.it +norec +multi

; <<>> DiG 9.6-ESV-R4-P3 <<>> hcvalchisone.net soa
@ns2.customer.seflow.it +norec +multi
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;hcvalchisone.net.   IN SOA

;; ANSWER SECTION:
hcvalchisone.net. 600 IN SOA ns1.hcvalchisone.net.
hostmaster.hcvalchisone.net. (
            2014020301 ; serial
            28800      ; refresh (8 hours)
            7200       ; retry (2 hours)