compile and install from source

Mathieu Arnold mat at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 31 08:46:07 UTC 2015

+--On 30 mars 2015 19:32:09 -0600 "@lbutlr" <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:
|> # /usr/local/sbin/named -u bind -c /etc/namedb/named.conf \
|> 	-t /var/named
|
| Yes, that works without reporting any errors, so the issue appears to be
| with /usr/local/etc/rc.d/named startup script.

Well, your first post says you're using 8.4, so there should be no such
script, it should be in /etc/rc.d.

|> syslogd_flags="-l /var/named/var/run/log"
|>
|> to /etc/rc.conf and restarting syslogd may get you some better logging
|> information.
|
| Don’t see anything logged on either the startup or the failed startup.
|
| However, if I try to check rndc…
|
|# /usr/local/sbin/rndc status
| rndc: neither /etc/rndc.conf nor /etc/rndc.key was found

That's because you built named manually and not from ports, so it doesn't
know where it should find its bits.

| Now, it is true that there is no rndc.conf, but that is true all all
| three name servers. There is a rndc.key in /var/named/etc/namedb/rndc.conf
|
| I’m not sure why it is looking in (I assume /var/named/etc instead of)
| /var/named/etc/namedb.

Because you built it manually so it did not get all the right configure
options the port has.

| is named_chrootdir="/var/named" not correct?

It is.

--
Mathieu Arnold